I had seen Wordles done before and always thought they were a really cool concept. I have been working on class descriptions for each grade level to send home to parents at work. I thought that I would take the list of school-community partners I had already made to try and make a Wordle of my own.
It was a very simple process. I copied the list of names off of a Microsoft Word document and clicked “create.” I did not like what I saw. It had split the names of places up and everything was the same size.
The second time I took all the spaces out of the words/titles that I wanted to keep together and typed my school name multiple times so that it would appear larger. This time when I pressed “create” my Wordle looked much better. I then played around with the fonts and color schemes. I also clicked the randomize button a million times to see what they would come up with.
I think that I could easily fit this into my current curriculum. With my lower-functioning students, I could have the students type their sight and functional spelling words. For my higher-functioning students I could have them create Wordles to describe themselves and their personalities. I think this would be an awesome tool to incorporate into my Action Research target audience when we use the Smart Board. We could come up with Wordles as a class to describe work and life skills. I think the look and design of the Wordle will intrigue my class, I cannot wait to share it with them!