Monday, October 3, 2011

BP3_Wordle

I had seen Wordles done before and always thought they were a really cool concept.  I have been working on class descriptions for each grade level to send home to parents at work.  I thought that I would take the list of school-community partners I had already made to try and make a Wordle of my own.   




It was a very simple process.  I copied the list of names off of a Microsoft Word document and clicked “create.”  I did not like what I saw.  It had split the names of places up and everything was the same size. 
The second time I took all the spaces out of the words/titles that I wanted to keep together and typed my school name multiple times so that it would appear larger.  This time when I pressed “create” my Wordle looked much better.  I then played around with the fonts and color schemes.  I also clicked the randomize button a million times to see what they would come up with. 

I think that I could easily fit this into my current curriculum.  With my lower-functioning students, I could have the students type their sight and functional spelling words.  For my higher-functioning students I could have them create Wordles to describe themselves and their personalities.  I think this would be an awesome tool to incorporate into my Action Research target audience when we use the Smart Board.  We could come up with Wordles as a class to describe work and life skills.  I think the look and design of the Wordle will intrigue my class, I cannot wait to share it with them!
K-

2 comments:

  1. Kristin,

    Wordles are one of those tools that allow our students to be collaborative and creative. They can use any selection of words/texts type them up and create a unique visual. Also, in the classroom you can have students work individually, in pairs, or small groups and use it as a center activity or as part of a lab activity when doing something like Science research.

    I never thought to implement the SmartBoard element; I am going to have to try that one out with the little kindergartners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,

    Awesome post, my friend! I initially was not aware of Wordle, but I am very intrigued of what I saw. You are extremely innovative, to simplify the class descriptions that are sent out, into a visual collage. I created a website for my internship, and I am going to use Wordle now to design my company's mission/elevator pitch. I can't wait to see how you will incorporate this with your Action Research target Audience!

    Well done!

    Shrav

    ReplyDelete