Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wk3 Comment - Cyndee Taresh


My Comment:

Cyndee-
I have to agree with you. This book is incredibly well written and very much an easy read. I have enjoyed these reading assignments and actually purchased this book for a couple of my friends. It is great to know that you are a glass 1/2 full kind of person. I find myself going back and forth, but this book has reminded me yet again to keep that glass full.
Good luck, only 39 days until the big day!
Kristen

In Response To:

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wk 3 Reading: Keeping it at least half full.......


Twenty years and three months of excitement, stress, learning, teaching, supporting, and leading was summed up in this week’s reading.  My career in the military could be described by the philosophy in chapters 5-8 of our text book, The Art of Possibility; Transforming Professional and Personal Life, by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander.  I say this because, all throughout the reading I kept picturing different times in my career that events unfolded like the story in the book, or training I conducted or received spoke the same message. 
Our Army is strong because of the decision making power given to every Soldier at all levels.  Military units around the world are in awe of the power given to our enlisted personnel since their military only gives that type of power to its officers. 
Some of the other countries now model their leadership courses and training after ours due to the effectiveness they see in the way we do things as an institution.  Our group efforts (collaboration) are proven successful over and over again regardless of the variance of mission type, location, or duration.  We do what we do well and we know it.   The power of positive thinking, strong team building, and self-confidence exercises increases our effectiveness exponentially. 
Everything in life can be boiled down to one word, PERSPECTIVE.  What you think controls your actions.  It is simple.  Think active; be active.  Think positive; be positive. 
I have always been a glass ½ full kind of person.  I believe it is part of my nature, not nurture, because many of the people in my family are negative thinkers.  I try to see the silver lining in every situation, even in the loss of loved ones.  Maybe, this mentality comes from being brought up in the church and knowing that no matter what, I have a hope for something beyond this world.  God loves me and I know it (after all he blessed me with incredible children)! 
Once again, I recommend this book.  It is well written, giving real-world story examples of the philosophies it talks about implementing.  
My Glass is Always 1/2 full!  The ice-cubes aren't obstacles, they make the drink sweeter (especially sweet tea)!

No comments:

Post a Comment